I don’t see why, on the whole dance music corners the market of ‘gym music’ be it the awful background music, the work-out mixes or even in spinning classes. It doesn’t help that its the dull repetive dance music. Basically it is the slave ship drum beat (as often seen in Asterix cartoons) with a 21st century tilt. Guitar music can also be uplifting, fast paced and driven.
With this in mind i have taken it upon myself (with no scientific evidence) to develop the ultimate ‘Indie’ workout mix, using my limited knowledge of mainstream music. It’s going to be approximately an hour-long, with a 3-5 minute cooldown (or 1 slow song at the end). There will be a sprinkling of a #shinemarathon in here most probably but I will try to keep it as current as possible as not just to be my favourite fast paced tunes!
- Arcade Fire – Ready to Start
- The Walkmen – Angela Surf City
- No Future Part III – Titus Andronicus
- Power – Kanye West
- Grounds for Divorce – Elbow
- Worm Tamer – Grinderman
- King of the Beach – Wavves
- I’m not Living in the Real World
- A Pot in Which to Piss – Titus Andronicus
- Round & Round – Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti
- Paper Planes – MIA
- Night – Zola Jesus
- I Can Change – LCD Soundsystem
- The Golden Path – The Chemical Brothers
If this doesn’t get you running, nothing will! This will be my soundtrack to the treadmill until I bother with another one.
(Alternatively – Just listen to the entire Titus Andronicus: The Monitor Album)
Let me know what you think!
*Edit* – Should be called ‘Treadmill Tracks’. Stupid slow brain.