I don’t play many ‘new’ games as time and money are things. These, however are a couple of lists of my favourite games I played in 2017 – some new, some not so new – although they were new to me in 2017
2017 Favourite Games
- Persona 5 – My favourite PS4 game and one of my favourite games ever. Picked it up a bit later – in June and was seemingly only playing this until Christmas. The world just envelopes you and you can think of little else. Am happily going to sink another 100 hours into my next playthrough.
- Horizon Zero Dawn – This game is near perfect. I loved everything about it!
- What Remains of Edith Finch? – I have only gotten into ‘Walking Sims’ last couple of years as they have come over to consoles (PC’s are for emails and Championship Manager 01/02) but this was one of the best single sitting games I have ever played. It seemed to break up the walking better than simialr games with little mini-games that differed from each other. Brilliant.
- Undertale – not new for 2017, but new for Vita for 2017. This game is brilliant. Don’t want to give anything away so I would just play it. Play it!
- Prey – Actually not Prey. With its Skyrim-esq loading screens that you spend most of last hour watching as you just run between points (why no fast travel) and game killing bugs and stupid ending and pointless threads throughout game due to stupid ending.
Non 2017 Favourite Games (played in 2017)
- Freedom Wars – A game I briefly played when it first came on playstation plus. Perfect for my regular commute. I didn’t finish, I hit a level of difficulty I couldn’t surpass so stopped. Which I am OK with.
- Dear Esther – A lovely, if very sad walking sim. A few years old now. All I would say is that if it had been a long cut scene it wouldn’t have felt much different.
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter – Another walking sim that I really enjoyed.
- Killzone: Mercanaries – Another Vita game I had barely touched until 2017 as i found it much better with a trigger grip for my fat hands. I am bad at first person shooters and it showed with this but I still enjoyed it.
- Darkest Dungeon – This was one of my favourite games I had ever played until I got over-confident and lost my main crew on a dungeon crawl and the perma-death system left me basically back at level 1. So i rage quit and even uninstalled it on the vita (without cloud save enabled). Big regret.
- Rise of the Tombraider – This game was great, but I made a mistake as I played it between replaying Arkham Aslyum and playing Horizon: Zero Dawn so in my mind it pales in comparison when in fact it was a wonderful game to play (if a little long)
2017 Games I hope to get to:
- Danganropa 3
- Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
- Mafia 3
- Mass Effect: Andromeda
- Nier: Automata
- Resident Evil 7
- Stardew Valley (if it comes to vita)
- Steamworld Dig 2
- Uncharted: Lost Legacy